One of the things that I am really focusing on this year is reading over 30 books so that I can continue to grow as a leader, a husband, a father, and as a follower of Jesus. One of those books that I have been able to read this year is “The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and in business.” The main theme through out of this book is seeing how you can learn to develop new habits in your life and business by knowing the cue that leads to a routine that leads you to a reward. This is called the “The Habit Loop” and the reason that we develop the habit loop is because our brains are always trying to find ways that will save time and energy. Here is a quote from the book, “Habits, scientists say emerge because the brain is constantly looking for ways to save effort. Left to its own devices, the brain will try to make almost any routine into a habit, because habits allow our minds to ramp down more often.”
So for me I have taken to getting up early and working out first thing in the morning. This is definitely something that I have to use the habit loop for because I HATE mornings, I have always been the late night person. I also am making sure that working out is a focus so that I can stay healthy for my wife and my family. What are some areas that you could use the habit loop to grow in your life this year?
Over the last couple of months I have been aware of several leaders in different church communities in our area that have had falls in their leadership. They each bring with them a different type of leadership pain that comes to both the leaders family and the leaders church family because of the leadership fall. But because of the many situations that I have become aware of in the last couple of months it has caused me to really think about the area of leadership and what leads to a fall. Here are some of the questions that I have been asking myself:
- Who did the leader have that really had the ability to know what is going on in their life?
- Who was asking the leader the tough questions and then following up to make sure that there were no BS answers?
- Who was making sure that the leader was living out a healthy work and family relationship during the week?
- Who really knew the leader?
One of the things that I have been really challenged to do is make sure that I have these type of people in my life. I also am praying that other leaders will look beyond the people of their own communities to build relationships with leaders that understand what they are going through in their area of business. What are some questions that you can think of that we can ask when it comes to the leaders in our churches?
Over the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to see and hear how LYFT registers and adds drivers to their business. As a person that likes to see see how businesses function and get people working on their team it has been a lot of fun. Here are some things that I have seen about what they do:
- They help their people get ready. One of the things that I have noticed is that when drivers show up their is one person constantly talking to them about their opportunity to make money with LYFT. This person is always making sure the people standing in line are getting powerful information about how LYFT functions and how they can make things better for them.
- They have a clear process to make sure the vehicle is safe. When someone decides to drive for LYFT their vehicle has to be in good shape. They will not allow a vehicle to be on the road for them if it is not approved for safety. I have personally seen people get turned away time and time again because they have not done what the LYFT company has asked them to do on their vehicle. (Funny to watch people try to lie their way in, ok sad really.)
- They want to the person to feel they are in a special community. Time and time and time again, I have heard them say you are now a part of LYFT and we are a team. They then talk about the mustache because they are all wearing their shirts as they work with people. They bring with them pink mustached table clothes and then they have pink mustached envelopes. The brand and celebrate the people on the team and then the team itself.
- LFYT has people that represent the world working for them. It is really fun to be able to sit down and watch all the different types of people that are signing up to be a LYFT driver. There is young and old, black and white, people with degrees people without degrees, dressed well, well at least kind of dressed. The way that they have brought together people to be on the team has been amazing.
Here is one thing that has challenged me as I have watched LYFT get people on their team. Why is it that they can do what the church should be doing? I know that there will be some people that are saying its because they are getting paid. Probably. But some of them never make a dollar but they are excited to have the pink mustache on their car. Take the time this week to think about what you can do to make sure that people at your church have a LYFT kind of experience.
We have a partnership with LYFT so if you want to become a new rider with LYFT then just take this code:1010ELEVATE and place it in the LYFT APP and you can help out the mission and vision of Elevation.
If you are interested in becoming a LYFT driver not matter where you live use this code: W271294 and you will be a partner with LYFT and Elevation Church in Aurora, CO. You never know what might happen if you get on the team with LYFT.
This last week it came to my attention about a bill board in Texas that had a picture of Jesus with tattoo’s on it. The whole thing had become something of a conversation starter, even so much that it was talked about on a local radio station. A radio station that my brother works at here in Denver. So I was asked to give my opinion about what I thought about the billboard and the website that went with it. The website is www.Jesustattoo.org if you want to check it out.
So I got on and shared that I loved the work that this group of people were doing in Texas and that the whole thing should be seen as great way of reaching people with the radical grace of Jesus. But then the radio host, a man that I am really enjoying to get to know mentioned that I had tattoo’s and that I should share about the verse that I have tattooed on my right arm. You see the radio host had tattoos also. So I went on to share the verse and to share why I thought it was important to have this verse tattooed on my arm. It was awesome to be able to share this with the people that were listening and to continue to talk about Jesus with the radio host.
But then later that day I get an email that proceeds to question me about who I thought I was to promote tattoos. That as a Christian did I really think that it was Holy to have tattoos? To me this was the prime example of what was happening with the billboards in Texas. The people that are supposed to be followers of Jesus are more worried with tattoos then they are the people that have them and their relationship with Jesus or if they even have a relationship with Jesus.
I pray that my tattoos continue to make followers of Jesus uncomfortable and that they continue to create conversations with people that don’t follow Jesus. For me the issue is not the tattoo but Jesus and do you have a relationship with Him.
Please take the time to watch this video and then tell me what you think. Go to the website up above.
I know that we are halfway through the month but I knew that there are some of you out there that are using this as an opportunity to go even deeper personally. We always want to give people the tools to be able to grow on their own in their relationship with Christ.
15th – 1 John 4:19 (Why we love)
16th – Romans 5: 3- 5 (Dealing with Hurt)
17th – Psalm 145: 16
18th – 1 John 4:7
19th – John 13:34 (What we do)
20th – Psalm 133:1
21st – 1 Corinthians 13:8
22nd – Ephesians 5:15 – 16
23rd – 1 Peter 4:8
24th – Proverbs 16:6
25th – Ephesians 4:2
26th – Song of Songs 2:4
27th – James 1:19
28th – Hebrews 13:6 (You are not alone)
Take your time and read through these they apply if you plan to be married, are married, or want to be married again some day.
these are awesome
come to the Bloyer house to get yours