So while I was looking through my Facebook feed the other day this is a video that was posted by Larry Leith from Tokyo Joe’s. (By the way I love their food and I love the culture that they have created for their business.) It is a great little coffee shop that is located down in Colorado Springs just an hour from where we live here in Aurora. The whole idea of the video is that people would go and visit other coffee shops in the area because of the community that has embraced them and by doing so end up with a free drink at Loyal Coffee. They are calling it the “Dis-Loyality Card”! What an amazing idea!
Here is where this video took me though – the church community. Isn’t this what we should be doing as the church? Letting people know that the community of faith is here for each other and build a community that is for the city not just ourselves? I was recently a part of a conversation about two churches in a community coming together for an event that helps grow leadership for both the city and the communities of faith. It was going to be an exciting opportunity to see the KINGDOM of Jesus respond in a way that would be a huge influence in the city. Well unfortunately one of the churches was not willing to partner in this endeavor because the building where the event was being held was not good enough for their people. Are you serious? The building is the reason that these two churches couldn’t come together to make a difference in the city like never before?
What if we decided to have “Dis-Loyalty” Sundays where we encouraged the people of our churches to go and support another church in the community? What if we called them BIG KINGDOM Sunday’s and we showed support for the big kingdom of Jesus?
What do you think about the coffee shop idea? What do you think about the BIG KINGDOM Sunday idea?
Tonight, was a great night as Gregg and I team taught the “Discover Your Church Team” at Elevation. It also aloud me to think about the things that we experienced today as a church team. Especially when I heard people that have been attending for just a short while talk about Elevation and the people that make up our team.
- The people on your Ekidz Team really do a great job of making sure that are kids are safe and have fun.
- We love the music and the band they are really excited about what they are doing and how they do it.
- We had a lady take us to where the coffee and doughnuts were and then made sure we knew where the bathrooms were. I needed to use the bathroom but was embarrassed to ask.
- Had a lady share on FB that she came to church by herself because her husband was working and she let her kids sleep in. But then we she got home and her high school girls let her know that they wanted to go with her. She said, “I love that my girls love our church as much as we do.”
- Had someone share that they feel like that God is talking to them every time they come to an experience.
The awesome thing about this is it is all because of the Dream Team that we have serving at Elevation each week. There is not one person that can take credit for all of this. (Other then Jesus.) We are blessed to have so many talented people serving at Elevation in the place where they feel gifted and created to serve. Just like the 1992 Dream Team that played in the Olympics for the United States. That team was the best of the best and they each new the part that they were to play on the team. Just like the team mates at Elevation. They are not trying to do it all they are just trying to do it well and make sure people know they do it because of Jesus. This is a thank you to all the people that serve at Elevation on the Dream Team you make it possible to do what we do.
If you are a part of a church team what is the best thing that you get to do each week?
It was a great Father’s day. I was able to spend this weekend at Mountianview Community Christian Church in Highlands Ranch. It was such an honor and privilege to be there and to be able to speak. Here are just some quick things that I was able to really enjoy this weekend:
- No matter what when you share God’s word there should be an opportunity for people to respond. We saw at least 70 people say YES to Jesus today.
- That there are some amazing church leaders like Jim Phillips in Colorado. Jim allowed me to speak and he also allowed us to ask the people in the church he leads to join us in the beginning of Elevation. What a man with a kingdom perspective.
- That humor can really set up a great point. It is OK to laugh at ourselves, even when it is uncomfortable.
- That having my wife and kids with me this whole weekend was amazing and I am so blessed to have them on loan from Jesus.
- That God brings people in and out of our lives in amazing times and way. Loved be able to spend time with people this weekend that I have not seen in years. (Thanks for the encouragement Chuck.)
- That God is bringing people into Elevation that I would have never imagined and it is so much fun doing life together with them. Even if they do like soccer.
- That the kids in my house can really get me to the heart with the things that they right on cards and facebook. Thanks Danielle, Tyler, and Morgan.
- Finally, that no matter what happens God is in control and I am just along for the ride.
I hope and pray that all of the Fathers out there had an amazing day and that they each remember that God has placed in our families not to just provide for them, but to lead them. May each and everyone one of you, lead like Jesus.
Ok I get a hard time from lots of people about being on Facebook to much. Well I have to be honest I am facebook through my phone and I love being able to do it. In fact I think that this is a great opportunity in this day and age to be able to share life with people all over the place. It is an opportunity to not only talk about life but how faith and your life meet.
It is an awesome place to be not just a fake person but a real person that walks through life in faith. The question that I have is what are the ways that are you using Facebook to reach people with the gospel? How are you using a great tool to let people now about what God is doing in your life? If you are not what can you be doing? There is nothing holding us back but our lack of creativity.
So last week I chose to put on my facebook page a question with a picture. What was amazing to me was first the amount of responses that I got about growing a beard. As well as the way the responses were divided male and female as well as the view points that came from the male and female friends that responded.
One of the things that I heard from the guys was “that would be manly, a full beard”, then from the ladies was “did you ask your wife about this.” There were even some very precise comments like “you know that growing a beard can complicate kissing” that was from a female perspective. The guys comments are “beards rock” or the “you can then catch more bugs” comment came from a fellow motorcycle rider. What I noticed was that not one guy commented about it in the context of the relationship with my wife. To me it was pretty funny to just watch the comments come in. I liked some of the creative ones as well one lady wrote “what if your wife doesn’t shave her legs” another one said “if you grow a beard then you will look upside down” (I shave my head). I just love how God has wired us to think different ways and to see things differently. Wouldn’t it be boring with out such great perspectives. So are you wondering if I have shave? Well here is the first picture as well as the new picture. We are going with the beard.
For all those ladies out there that made comments about what did my wife think. Well I asked her opinion first. You see I do want to know if that would change the kissing in our house. I also think that of any one’s opinion hers is going to carry the only weight. I just see this as a great way to continue to encourage guys to think about when it comes to our decisions do we think about what our spouses would think. I spend a lot of time counseling people that are married that think that there opinion is the most important in the relationship. Well if you think that way I would just say you would be better off getting a pet and not a spouse. Because your pets you can order around. Not a spouse. When Eve was created in the garden of Eden she was created from Adams rib. Not from the bottom of his foot, for her to be ruled upon. Not from the top of the head where she is to rule upon the man, but from the side the place where a partner stands. So I encourage all of us husbands and wives to begin in our thoughts about decisions first with what God would want and then second how does this affect my spouse. If we think this way I really believe a lot of issues that we deal with will slowly go away.