After Sunday mornings as the lead pastor at Elevation Christian Church in Aurora, CO I always am excited. This Sunday is no different! I was able to watch and see things that only some people in a church start get to dream about:
- 6 people put their faith and trust in Jesus Chirst.
- We had over 40 people serving in different places through out the church.
- We had 6 first time guest and 6 second time guests hang out with us.
- We had 31 people make commitments to memorize verses in the bible.
- We had fun as our worship team played, WAR. (Flashback to Roller skating.)
- We had another back pack come in for Save Our Youth partners totally 79. The goal was 61.
Each day and each week I thank God that I get to be involved with Elevation. I am so thankful that I get to work with the team that I get to work with everyday. There are guys that God has put in my life that have allowed me to really start to lead at the church the way that God has called me to lead. I am so excited as we head into this fall and all that God has for us.
Let me now what you see God doing in the church that you attend.
I just wanted you to know how terri-cited I am for this weekend. That is our family word that we made up, it is terrified and excited at the same time. I am terrified that we will have tons of people I am excited that we will have tons of people. So as I have been praying and fasting this week like many of you are doing. Through the prayer and fasting I have realized that I am more hungry (fasting term) then ever to see the gospel of Jesus Christ change our community. That I see Elevation being a place where people that are not sure about church can come and find out about the radical grace of Jesus. So here are the “Top 5 Things That You Need To Know” for this Weekend!
#5 – Gathering Times to Invite
We want to remind you that our gatherings this week are going to be 8:30 – 10:00 – 11:30AM. If you can make it to the 8:30 gathering that would be a huge help because we do anticipate that the two later gatherings are going to be the most crowded. But make sure that you invite someone to come with you. This is your chance to have someone be a part of the party.
#4 – Volunteering this Weekend
I want to make sure that I thank each and everyone of you that is stepping up to serve or have already been serving. You make every Sunday possible for us to have gatherings that create relational environments for both kids and adults. So make sure that when you come to serve that you PARK in the back lot of the school building. We want to make sure that guests have the best spots. We also ask that you enter through the back of the school where the trailer and truck are parked through Volunteer Central. That is a place where you can get your name-tag, a pep talk, and something to snack on. We want to make sure you are ready to great, treat, direct, and seat the people that are going to be at Elevation.
#3 – Follow the Volunteers Lead
I know that this is not something that you need to be told, but I am going to say it any way. Make sure that as a regular attender and a team member that you do what the volunteers as you to do. So if that means sit in the front, sit in the front. If that means move over in the row, move over in the row. If that means fill out the connection card, fill out the connection card. If that means give up your seat, give up your seat. We want to make sure again that we are setting the tempo for the rest of the people that attend. So make sure that you follow a long as you are lead too.
#2 – Be prepared for the “Hook-up” Offering
On Sunday we are going to be taking a special offering for us to be able to do a couple of things. We are going to purchase the trailer that we are currently using for us to get everything to the school. We also are going to be re-decorating the trailer with Elevation stuff on it. That means taking off the old decorations and the new spray paint. (Painted at night in the parking lot.) Then finally we are going to be buying Bibles for several pastors and leaders that are in need of them in Kenya. We will be doing this through our partnership with Miracle House and then seeing them given out when our three team members go to Kenya this coming June. So be in prayer of what you will give or goal is $6,500.
#1 – Pray during the Gospel
This Sunday we know that more people then ever will show up and give church a try. So that means that we will have the opportunity to see more and more people say “Yes” to Jesus then ever before. So as the gospel is being presented make sure that you are not moving around because that is the time we especially don’t want any distractions. But then make sure that you are praying for the people around you. Pray for the people that are sitting in front or in back or to your side that you have never met before. You may not know what they have been going through and this is the day that the Holy Spirit is moving on their heart in such a way that they are going to say “Yes” to Jesus. SO PRAY!
Thank you for your support and thank you for being the followers of Jesus that know that this weekend is still a weekend that is changing the world. Who knows it may be your neighbor, your friend, your co-worker, a student at your school, that is going to say “Yes” to Jesus.
P.S. Remember that this is the week that we give people the opportunity to win a party. Limo service, dinner out, and tickets to an event it will be a fun night and we will pick a winner at the end of the month.
It is always a great feeling to finish off a Sunday and be able to think about all that I was honored to be a part of when it comes to Elevation. I get so excited that I get to be a part of a movement of God here in Aurora. Today we started our series called the “F-Bomb” and it was quite explosive when it came to dealing with the area of forgiveness in people’s lives. Here are a few of the things that just blew us away:
- We had 7 first time decisions for Jesus Christ.
- Then had the honor to be able to pray for up to 40 people as the share the gift of forgiveness with those in their lives.
- Was honored to have a friend from High school show up with her daughter that I have not seen since I graduated. (Yeah I am old)
- Enjoyed the opportunity to have 8 new families check out Elevation and all that is going on.
- Was able to enjoy an awesome lunch with the awesome volunteers at Elevation as we had our Fall Leadership Community.
- Was told today by the custodian at Dalton that she was listening to message from her office and she said, “I was thinking that this is a message that my friend should hear, but then realized that Jesus was talking to me.”
One of the things that I have really enjoyed over the last two months of being a part of a church start is the unexpected things that occur. This morning I woke up earlier then I needed to get up so I just laid there until the alarm went off. Got up and got ready, then hitched up the trailer and went to the school to get set up. We proceed to get things set up and I went out to set up some signs around the area. While on the road all of a sudden got violently ill. I mean I think there were probably people driving by thinking. “Man that guy is still dealing with last nights fun!” If that would have been true I could have understood what I was going through. Then it went away. So through much prayer and some mints for bad breath I finished out the morning. I then started thinking man was I horrible today. Well, here is what I want to start the Sunday thoughts with; “It is not about me.” It is about Jesus and His Holy Spirit showing up in spite of me. We had two people say yes to Jesus.
Here are some other thoughts:
- Our volunteers are doing an amazing job and making a difference in our community and in peoples lives.
- We had a family come and check out the church today because of the Thanksgiving Boxes we gave away two weeks ago.
- A teach at the elementary was overwhelmed with Jesus love because our Children’s Ministry director let her know that someone cared and was thinking of her.
- The Custodian at the school told me, “I may not be in the gym while you are teaching but in my office I can here it all.”
- The Lead Volunteer Team at Elevation is making some major steps in improving what we do and how we do it.
- 8 people were baptized today. I did not do one of them. To me that is a huge celebration, because Dads and Moms baptized their kids, Husbands baptized their wives, and Friends baptized friends, biblical community at its best.
- By the way did I say that our Volunteers are amazing.
Thank you to the people that are attending and becoming team members at Elevation. It is a great ride and I can’t wait to see what happens next week, next month, and next year. Jesus is alive and making a difference in you and through you.