The moments that you get to experience in the life of a church start are amazing. Especially as a church start that is reaching people that don’t go to church. I had a conversation with a lady today that is thinking about when to get baptized and if she will have recovered from her surgery in time for one this month. I then had a conversation with a guy that came for the first time and was amazed that the pastor the church was wearing jeans and a Tap Out t-shirt. He let me know that he was worried that his shirt would keep him from being allowed at church. It was a rock band t-shirt, I just laughed and said I like that band too. So here are some of things that I thought about:
- We had two people say “Yes” to Jesus.
- We were blessed to have 17 people “Join The Team” at Elevation. First time having dinner while we had the huddle it was awesome.
- Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies make even big guys smile. (Thanks Michelle for making them.)
- In a church start that is portable there are still things that we forget to bring with us to church. (This Sunday’s programs. OOPS!)
- That enabling people to belong before they believe is a huge thing. We have had two guys this month alone that have been serving that said “Yes to Jesus”.
- That no matter what you do there are always going to be things that will need to be tweeked and changed a little.
- The people on the team enable the team to be the best that you can be.
- The series that we are doing “Make War” has caused us to really see that we are in a spiritual war. That we are excited to see that God is using us in this war.
- That I miss seeing my son in the church on Sunday’s. Had through that in since he has been off to school for two Sundays now.
I have to say that even though that it is Sunday night and I am a little tired, I CAN’T WAIT FOR NEXT SUNDAY!
What are you excited about when it comes to being at the church you attend?
After Sunday mornings as the lead pastor at Elevation Christian Church in Aurora, CO I always am excited. This Sunday is no different! I was able to watch and see things that only some people in a church start get to dream about:
- 6 people put their faith and trust in Jesus Chirst.
- We had over 40 people serving in different places through out the church.
- We had 6 first time guest and 6 second time guests hang out with us.
- We had 31 people make commitments to memorize verses in the bible.
- We had fun as our worship team played, WAR. (Flashback to Roller skating.)
- We had another back pack come in for Save Our Youth partners totally 79. The goal was 61.
Each day and each week I thank God that I get to be involved with Elevation. I am so thankful that I get to work with the team that I get to work with everyday. There are guys that God has put in my life that have allowed me to really start to lead at the church the way that God has called me to lead. I am so excited as we head into this fall and all that God has for us.
Let me now what you see God doing in the church that you attend.
There are moments in life and working in a church that you just have to be able to share with others. We have been able to see God do some really amazing things through out the last couple of weeks. But on Sunday was one of those days that was just overwhelming and awesome.
- We started our “Elevation at the Movies” series and talked about our orignal parents Adam and Eve and how our “Our Parents past points to our possible future”.
- Sunday we had 10 people give their lives to Jesus. Several of these people had never attended church in their life.
- Sunday we had 5 guys take the step of Baptism. In fact one of the young men that was baptized decided right then and there and was baptized in his clothes. His mom was overwhelmed and in tears.
- We had 30 first time guests for our “Elevation at the Movies”. The people of Elevation really stepped up and invited their friends and family to join us.
We know that as a church that has only been around for 20 months we are celebrating 92 baptisms and that God is doing something incredible in and through us. So I am excited to be able to take the next couple of weeks away and focus on what we will be doing in the coming year. We know that there is more and more to come when it comes to being the church that is going to, “Engage the world to elevate the name of Jesus one life at a time.”
It is always a great feeling to finish off a Sunday and be able to think about all that I was honored to be a part of when it comes to Elevation. I get so excited that I get to be a part of a movement of God here in Aurora. Today we started our series called the “F-Bomb” and it was quite explosive when it came to dealing with the area of forgiveness in people’s lives. Here are a few of the things that just blew us away:
- We had 7 first time decisions for Jesus Christ.
- Then had the honor to be able to pray for up to 40 people as the share the gift of forgiveness with those in their lives.
- Was honored to have a friend from High school show up with her daughter that I have not seen since I graduated. (Yeah I am old)
- Enjoyed the opportunity to have 8 new families check out Elevation and all that is going on.
- Was able to enjoy an awesome lunch with the awesome volunteers at Elevation as we had our Fall Leadership Community.
- Was told today by the custodian at Dalton that she was listening to message from her office and she said, “I was thinking that this is a message that my friend should hear, but then realized that Jesus was talking to me.”
Well it is another Sunday Night and I have really been moved by what happened today at Elevation. We are in a series called “The Essential James” and we are going through the book of James each week. Not only has it been very impactful to myself personally and my family but we have seen God do some amazing things in the lives of people who are attending.
- Today I was able view several family members all at once look up in response to saying “Yes” to Jesus.
- I heard from a woman, that said that she needs to be more aware of the way that she talks to her children.
- I heard from someone who is taking the steps to make a relationship right in the eyes of Jesus.
- I saw a children cared for and excited to be a part of a church.
- I watched as people from Elevation loved on and cared for the custodian at the school where we meet, whose father is dying of cancer. They prayed with her and told her that she was a part of our family at Elevation.
- I watched and heard of people in Elevation that are loving and caring for family that is experiencing a very painful loss of a loved one.
- I saw students excited to be a part of a baptism of another student that is moving to another state.
One of the things that I have really enjoyed over the last two months of being a part of a church start is the unexpected things that occur. This morning I woke up earlier then I needed to get up so I just laid there until the alarm went off. Got up and got ready, then hitched up the trailer and went to the school to get set up. We proceed to get things set up and I went out to set up some signs around the area. While on the road all of a sudden got violently ill. I mean I think there were probably people driving by thinking. “Man that guy is still dealing with last nights fun!” If that would have been true I could have understood what I was going through. Then it went away. So through much prayer and some mints for bad breath I finished out the morning. I then started thinking man was I horrible today. Well, here is what I want to start the Sunday thoughts with; “It is not about me.” It is about Jesus and His Holy Spirit showing up in spite of me. We had two people say yes to Jesus.
Here are some other thoughts:
- Our volunteers are doing an amazing job and making a difference in our community and in peoples lives.
- We had a family come and check out the church today because of the Thanksgiving Boxes we gave away two weeks ago.
- A teach at the elementary was overwhelmed with Jesus love because our Children’s Ministry director let her know that someone cared and was thinking of her.
- The Custodian at the school told me, “I may not be in the gym while you are teaching but in my office I can here it all.”
- The Lead Volunteer Team at Elevation is making some major steps in improving what we do and how we do it.
- 8 people were baptized today. I did not do one of them. To me that is a huge celebration, because Dads and Moms baptized their kids, Husbands baptized their wives, and Friends baptized friends, biblical community at its best.
- By the way did I say that our Volunteers are amazing.
Thank you to the people that are attending and becoming team members at Elevation. It is a great ride and I can’t wait to see what happens next week, next month, and next year. Jesus is alive and making a difference in you and through you.