Over the last couple of weekends we have been going through a series called “Built 4 Life”. We are going through the different areas of the bible that talk about living a healthy lifestyle. So as we talked about health we came upon the idea that as followers of Jesus our health is an act of respect to God himself. So the statement that we are thinking ont this week is:
“Respect the building, respect the builder.”
So what does that look like for us and everyday living:
- Excercise: Take some small steps this week to get in the discipline of exercise. Start small and work up to something that will continue to encourage health.
- Experience God With a Healthy Life: For people who are called followers of Jesus this means that you are to worship God with a healthy lifestyle. Take a look at 1 Corinthians 6:19. Remember you are not your own.
- Extend Life’s Opportunities: This is where our health and the way we live can put us in a position to do great things with opportunities that God places in our life. We are built for so much more than we are doing now.
So what are some things that you can do this week to start living a healthier lifestyle? List something here in the comments section.
If you would like to see the message from this last weekend then just click here. (Built 4 Life)
For the next couple of the weeks at Elevation we are going to be doing a series called, “Built 4 Life”. Where we are going to be focusing on how God has giving us the direction about living a healthy life. So the focus verse for this series is:
John 10:10 (NLT) 10 “The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.”
We are hoping and praying that people will be able to see that it is important to tie our physical being with the spiritual. That as a person of faith I should see the need to be healthy and that God has created me to have a rich life. But I need to see the why in my life whether it is personal or as a mission in my life. In fact that is how we created the statement for this weekend; “The why leads me try.” The why in my life should lead me to try and live a healthier life. So here are some of my personal whys:
- I hope to live a long life with her.
- I hope to be able to walk my girls down the isle.
- I hope to be able to play catch with my grandkids.
But then there is the mission whys in my life:
- I hope to see all the people in Aurora know Jesus.
- I hope to be able to travel around the world and share about Jesus.
- I hope to be able to lead other groups in planting churches.
What are the whys in your life? How are those whys going to lead you to try and live a healthier life?
In the book “Winning My Race: Discovering the energy, time and discipline to fulfill your destiny.” By Dr. Ben Lerner & Dr. Chris Zaino there is a quote that challenges us to know our whys.
“The two most important days in someone’s life are the day you are born and the day you discover why.” Anonymous
What are your whys and how will you start to take some steps to lead a healthier life?
The moments that you get to experience in the life of a church start are amazing. Especially as a church start that is reaching people that don’t go to church. I had a conversation with a lady today that is thinking about when to get baptized and if she will have recovered from her surgery in time for one this month. I then had a conversation with a guy that came for the first time and was amazed that the pastor the church was wearing jeans and a Tap Out t-shirt. He let me know that he was worried that his shirt would keep him from being allowed at church. It was a rock band t-shirt, I just laughed and said I like that band too. So here are some of things that I thought about:
- We had two people say “Yes” to Jesus.
- We were blessed to have 17 people “Join The Team” at Elevation. First time having dinner while we had the huddle it was awesome.
- Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies make even big guys smile. (Thanks Michelle for making them.)
- In a church start that is portable there are still things that we forget to bring with us to church. (This Sunday’s programs. OOPS!)
- That enabling people to belong before they believe is a huge thing. We have had two guys this month alone that have been serving that said “Yes to Jesus”.
- That no matter what you do there are always going to be things that will need to be tweeked and changed a little.
- The people on the team enable the team to be the best that you can be.
- The series that we are doing “Make War” has caused us to really see that we are in a spiritual war. That we are excited to see that God is using us in this war.
- That I miss seeing my son in the church on Sunday’s. Had through that in since he has been off to school for two Sundays now.
I have to say that even though that it is Sunday night and I am a little tired, I CAN’T WAIT FOR NEXT SUNDAY!
What are you excited about when it comes to being at the church you attend?
After Sunday mornings as the lead pastor at Elevation Christian Church in Aurora, CO I always am excited. This Sunday is no different! I was able to watch and see things that only some people in a church start get to dream about:
- 6 people put their faith and trust in Jesus Chirst.
- We had over 40 people serving in different places through out the church.
- We had 6 first time guest and 6 second time guests hang out with us.
- We had 31 people make commitments to memorize verses in the bible.
- We had fun as our worship team played, WAR. (Flashback to Roller skating.)
- We had another back pack come in for Save Our Youth partners totally 79. The goal was 61.
Each day and each week I thank God that I get to be involved with Elevation. I am so thankful that I get to work with the team that I get to work with everyday. There are guys that God has put in my life that have allowed me to really start to lead at the church the way that God has called me to lead. I am so excited as we head into this fall and all that God has for us.
Let me now what you see God doing in the church that you attend.
While the city of Aurora was reeling from the shooting at the Century 16 Theaters on Friday. Saturday some students from Marachek Middle School and who are partnered with Save Our Youth came to our offices to get back packs for school. These students each have an adult mentor that is focusing on enabling them to see a brighter future.
Through out the summer the team members of Elevation have been putting together the back packs. We started with the goal of sixty back packs. Wanting to make sure that we were able to take care of all the students that make up the Aurora Public Schools students in Save Our Youth. What happened was Elevation really stepped up and we ended up with seventy-one backpacks as well as seven extra bags worth of school supplies.
Even though we had spent the last day and a half with families that were experiencing great hurt and loss. That evening we were able to see some smiles on faces that might not have been smiling when it came to the first day of school. The people of Elevation was used by God to make a difference in our community. I am so fortunate to be the pastor at Elevation and to see the people understand the value of being a church for the community not just in the community.
Thanks to all of the Community Groups and the Team members that donated to these smiles at Elevation. I can not wait to see what happens next when it comes to caring for our community.
What are some of the ways that you can be used to be for your community?
At 3:30AM on Friday, July 20, 2012 a week ago today I woke up to a flurry of text messages on my phone. People that we knew from all over the U.S. were asking if our family was okay. We had no idea of the horror that had happened earlier that morning. So my wife and I proceeded to get up and see on T.V. what was happening. We were overwhelmed with the reports that were coming out of the Century 16 Theater a few miles down the road from our home.
After a few moments of sitting there I couldn’t take it anymore I had to do something. So my first response was to think of the policemen and women that were there at the theater. So with the help of our Worship Pastor at Elevation Christian Church, Gregg Barbour we purchased and loaded up 20 cases of water from King Soopers in the truck. Then headed down to the Century 16 Theater.
We were immediately met by the officers that were at the South end of Sable by the Aurora Town Center where the theater is located. From there we were escorted to the Aurora Municipal Building, the officers around the theater, the area of the media by the theater, and then to Victim’s assistance at Gateway high school.
The people in the Municipal building said, “Oh, thank God you are hear we were waiting for the water.” A radio reporter announced on air that he was tired and hot and all of sudden in through the window was a hand with bottled water. Then at the Victims assistance area all of the reporters thanked us as the temperature began to rise on this horrible day. Inside the Gateway gym we were met with more comments of thanks and then we met with people in the parking lot to pray for them.
The thought that kept running through my head was from this verse:
Matthew 10:42 (NLT) “And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded.”
This is what the first response was for me when it came to the events of that night. What did you do as a first response to the shooting at the theater? (Call someone, hug your kids, or pray for those that were being personally affected by loss that day.) Leave your responses below.
There are moments in life and working in a church that you just have to be able to share with others. We have been able to see God do some really amazing things through out the last couple of weeks. But on Sunday was one of those days that was just overwhelming and awesome.
- We started our “Elevation at the Movies” series and talked about our orignal parents Adam and Eve and how our “Our Parents past points to our possible future”.
- Sunday we had 10 people give their lives to Jesus. Several of these people had never attended church in their life.
- Sunday we had 5 guys take the step of Baptism. In fact one of the young men that was baptized decided right then and there and was baptized in his clothes. His mom was overwhelmed and in tears.
- We had 30 first time guests for our “Elevation at the Movies”. The people of Elevation really stepped up and invited their friends and family to join us.
We know that as a church that has only been around for 20 months we are celebrating 92 baptisms and that God is doing something incredible in and through us. So I am excited to be able to take the next couple of weeks away and focus on what we will be doing in the coming year. We know that there is more and more to come when it comes to being the church that is going to, “Engage the world to elevate the name of Jesus one life at a time.”
Here is a great way that a very creative person put together thoughts about today. Today is the day that Jesus gave His life for us. A day that has changed my life forever, how about you?
Remember life is not about waiting for a funeral but living everyday as it is a PARTY!
I just wanted you to know how terri-cited I am for this weekend. That is our family word that we made up, it is terrified and excited at the same time. I am terrified that we will have tons of people I am excited that we will have tons of people. So as I have been praying and fasting this week like many of you are doing. Through the prayer and fasting I have realized that I am more hungry (fasting term) then ever to see the gospel of Jesus Christ change our community. That I see Elevation being a place where people that are not sure about church can come and find out about the radical grace of Jesus. So here are the “Top 5 Things That You Need To Know” for this Weekend!
#5 – Gathering Times to Invite
We want to remind you that our gatherings this week are going to be 8:30 – 10:00 – 11:30AM. If you can make it to the 8:30 gathering that would be a huge help because we do anticipate that the two later gatherings are going to be the most crowded. But make sure that you invite someone to come with you. This is your chance to have someone be a part of the party.
#4 – Volunteering this Weekend
I want to make sure that I thank each and everyone of you that is stepping up to serve or have already been serving. You make every Sunday possible for us to have gatherings that create relational environments for both kids and adults. So make sure that when you come to serve that you PARK in the back lot of the school building. We want to make sure that guests have the best spots. We also ask that you enter through the back of the school where the trailer and truck are parked through Volunteer Central. That is a place where you can get your name-tag, a pep talk, and something to snack on. We want to make sure you are ready to great, treat, direct, and seat the people that are going to be at Elevation.
#3 – Follow the Volunteers Lead
I know that this is not something that you need to be told, but I am going to say it any way. Make sure that as a regular attender and a team member that you do what the volunteers as you to do. So if that means sit in the front, sit in the front. If that means move over in the row, move over in the row. If that means fill out the connection card, fill out the connection card. If that means give up your seat, give up your seat. We want to make sure again that we are setting the tempo for the rest of the people that attend. So make sure that you follow a long as you are lead too.
#2 – Be prepared for the “Hook-up” Offering
On Sunday we are going to be taking a special offering for us to be able to do a couple of things. We are going to purchase the trailer that we are currently using for us to get everything to the school. We also are going to be re-decorating the trailer with Elevation stuff on it. That means taking off the old decorations and the new spray paint. (Painted at night in the parking lot.) Then finally we are going to be buying Bibles for several pastors and leaders that are in need of them in Kenya. We will be doing this through our partnership with Miracle House and then seeing them given out when our three team members go to Kenya this coming June. So be in prayer of what you will give or goal is $6,500.
#1 – Pray during the Gospel
This Sunday we know that more people then ever will show up and give church a try. So that means that we will have the opportunity to see more and more people say “Yes” to Jesus then ever before. So as the gospel is being presented make sure that you are not moving around because that is the time we especially don’t want any distractions. But then make sure that you are praying for the people around you. Pray for the people that are sitting in front or in back or to your side that you have never met before. You may not know what they have been going through and this is the day that the Holy Spirit is moving on their heart in such a way that they are going to say “Yes” to Jesus. SO PRAY!
Thank you for your support and thank you for being the followers of Jesus that know that this weekend is still a weekend that is changing the world. Who knows it may be your neighbor, your friend, your co-worker, a student at your school, that is going to say “Yes” to Jesus.
P.S. Remember that this is the week that we give people the opportunity to win a party. Limo service, dinner out, and tickets to an event it will be a fun night and we will pick a winner at the end of the month.
Over this last Sunday at Elevation we were excited to announce to our church team our partnership with “Save Our Youth”. ‘Save Our Youth” is an organization that helps kids that are at risk and partners them with mentors that are willing to walk through life with these kids. In most mentoring organizations the average relationship between a student and their mentor is 18 months. But with “Save Our Youth” it is a much different picture, their average relationship is 3 years. We believe that this is an opportunity that we have to make a difference in our community but most of the lives of students and their families. Take a moment and watch this video about what one man did in a little boys life.
Take some time to think and pray about how you can make a difference in a kids life.
Here is a prayer that Pastor Ryan Duncan shared at the end of the second gathering at Elevation Christian Church. What a great day to be a Bronco Fan! We Believe!
Please make sure that you go and share this video with everyone else. What a great way to talk about the way we have a great time clebrating what God does and can do!
Here are five things that you can do to start your year off right when it comes to being a team member at Elevation Christian Church. Each one of them will help us accomplish our mission statement: “Develop relational environments where people can become followers of Jesus.”
#5 Set-up Online Giving
As you prepare and plan for this coming year when it comes to your finances get your online giving set-up. I pray that each and everyone of you has set some financial goals that are based in what God wants for you and your family. So make your tithe to the church one of the first things that is taken care of this month. You can get it started in CCB through your login and if you don’t have a login just go to the Community tab on the website and you can ask for one.
#4 Join a Community Group
In the coming weeks we are going to be talking about the importance of having a community of people around you as you walk through life. So why not this weekend make it a priority to get signed up for a community group at the Guest Services booth. It is as easy as picking what night works best for you and your family then getting your name on the Community Group card at the booth. Then the leader will get in touch with you and make sure you are ready to do life with others.
#3 Learn to Laugh
I know that you might think that this is a strange thing to put in this list. But I believe that if we were to live life more in the joy of being a child of God then we wouldn’t be as stressed out. So learn to laugh at the things that are going on in your life and know that there is a Father that loves you in a huge way and is there with you each step. Plus, they say that laughing actually extends your life that means my wife is going to live a long time. (Insert Laugh)
#2 Get to know someone NEW
We are so excited to share with you that on Christmas Eve that we had our largest attended service ever. So that will mean that we will see more and more new people attending our services over the next couple of weeks. Make sure that you take the time to stop and talk to someone new invite them to get a cup of coffee and some cookies in the E-Lounge during the gatherings. Who knows you might even get in a Community Group together.
#1 Learn that WE ARE . . . means something to us all
This month WE ARE going through a series called WE ARE. It is a series that is going to get us focused again on what is important to Elevation. It is a series that is going to push us each to take next steps when it comes to our walks with Jesus Christ. So I am asking you to take the time to see what WE ARE means to you and what God is calling you to do next. Because WE ARE a movement of Jesus Christ and WE ARE not going to sit back and wait anymore.
Here is the first message in the series WE ARE . . . for Elevation Christian Church in Aurora, CO. Please take the time to check us out and come and find out more about who we are as a church and a movement of God.
Just wanted to be able to share with you the tickets that we had made for Christmas Eve Gatherings at Elevation Christian Church. I know that this is a chance for you to invite people. We are going to have a great time with weekend at 4:30PM and 6:00PM. www.elevationcc.com
3 – Take a Spiritual Next Step:
Each one of us needs to take next steps with Jesus. That may mean getting baptized this Sunday at Utah Pool. When you do this, you will be going public with your relationship with Jesus. You will also be sharing it with everyone at the Baptism Celebration this Sunday at 5:30PM. This may mean, for you, serving somewhere at Elevation. The month of December is a great time to start. We will need more people to serve during our Christmas Eve services because we will see a large group of new people coming and we want them to have a great experience here at Elevation and you can be a part of that by serving. You can serve in the Worship Arts Team by contacting Tim Hanebrink, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tim is looking to have a group of carolers for our Christmas Eve services. You can serve on the Ekidz Team by contacting Nancy Bloyer, email@example.com. Nancy is going to be having shepherds walking through the Ekidz rooms and we would love for you to be a part of this as well. You can serve in the First Impressions Team by contacting Ryan Duncan. Ryan.firstname.lastname@example.org. Ryan will need more volunteers so that our first time guests experience is enjoyable. So, we need you to take a next step!
2 – Give to the IMPACT Offering:
This year all of us at Elevation will be coming together to make an IMPACT offering. This offering will be above and beyond our normal 10% tithe. We have set a goal for twenty thousand dollars and we are on the way there. We want you to sit down with your family and friends and see how you can make this Christmas about others. Make this Christmas special by giving to something that is going to change people’s lives. When you give this year, you will be giving to each area within Elevation. Your gift will help to enhance our EKIDZ experience. It will also improve your experience on Sunday mornings in our worship services. Some of the funds will also be given to first impressions to enhance the experience of our first time guests here are Elevation. Finally, when you give, we will be giving 5,000.00 to the Miracle House in Kenya. Make and IMPACT today, you can go to our ONLINE giving and give there or you can mark on your envelope this Sunday “IMPACT” or any of the other Sundays this month.
1 – Remember that Jesus came for the Hurting:
You have a chance to make December special by inviting people that you know to come hear about Jesus at our Elevation Christmas Eve Gatherings. This year you can use our Elevation Christmas tickets to invite friends and family. My wife Michelle is making cookie plates for the people on our block and taping the tickets to the plate for our Christmas Eve gatherings. You can pick up the tickets and our new building cards, which are available at our Guest Services table. Remember that we have two services. The first starts at 4:30PM and the second starts at 6:00PM. Each service can seat 250 people. Make this December special by allowing the people you know to find out why they call Jesus the “Prince of Peace”.
I have to say that there is almost nothing better then being able to sit down in a nice comfy chair and be able to watch a great team on Sunday accomplish something amazing. Being a Denver native I have had the awesome chance to watch ‘The Drive” as it unfolded. I was honored to watch John Elway dive towards the end zone in the Super bowl against Green Bay. Now it is watching the kid, Tim Tebow do things that everyone else wants to critique but he wins games.
All I have to say is that they had nothing on the team at Elevation Christian Church on Sunday. We have begun the month, this series, and the next season for Elevation at Aurora Frontier K-8 with a big kick off. Yesterday we had teams of people show up early on Sunday in the snow to set-up kid’s rooms, coffee, drinks, sound systems, and lights. It was only the second time that each one of the different serving teams had even seen the school. But it was amazing. Each one of our teams performed amazing in the heat of the game. I am so blessed to be one of the Pastors at Elevation Christian Church. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year looks like for us at Elevation and all of the celebrations that we will share as God works in and through the teams and players of Elevation. Let’s celebrate this Sunday and the four people that said Yes to Jesus because each team and each player had a part in their day. Let’s celebrate a winning game!
Need a boost to your week? Want to know something that just might change your week? Well here are 3 things that I want to share with you that I think will change your week.
#3 – God has blessed us with more then we need. We’re rich. But we will not trust in our riches, but in Him who richly provides.
Yes, this is the statement that we have been walking through this last month in our series “How to be Rich.” But I want to give you a practical way for you to share with others of how God has blessed you. This Saturday at the GRUDGE Training Center they are having a Turkey Drive for the Denver Rescue Mission and they gave us a call to be a part of it. Last year they had people bring 24 turkeys, they are hoping for 30 this year. This is a great opportunity to help people in need on Thanksgiving as well as build a relationship with some people who have yet to say YES to Jesus. The GRUDGE Training Center is one of the world’s most well know MMA training facilities and the owners are people that we have been building relationships with over the last year. It is our hope that we can show them what team Elevation is all about. So from 11:00AM – 2:00PM you can drop off Turkey’s and other non-perishable items at Grudge Training Center 4298 Kipling St. Unit B Wheat Ridge, Colo. 80033. Please make sure that when you show up, you let them know you are from Elevation.
#2 – Christmas is only 38 days away. (This is good or bad depending on how you look at it.)
We are excited to share with everyone that we are going to be having our first ever Christmas Eve services at Elevation. We are planning two gatherings on December 24th that start at 4:30PM and then at 6:00PM. We cannot wait to spend this Christmas Eve together and be able to invite all of our friends and family to celebrate the birth of Christ. But with that being said, we also want you to know that means we will not have gatherings on Christmas. Christmas this year falls on a Sunday and from the very beginning we have always said that relationships matter here at Elevation. So we would rather you be with family & friends on Christmas morning then setting up at the school. So NO SUNDAY GATHERINGS on December 25th, we will meet again on the 1st of January to celebrate the New Year and new opportunities for 2012.
#1 – We are starting a NEW tradition at Elevation this year.
We believe that this last year has been amazing. We have seen over 100 people say Yes to Jesus. We have baptized 60 people this year and we still have one more Baptism Celebration next month on December 11th. (SIGN-up now in the E-Lounge) It has been so exciting to see all of this happen. BUT, we believe that next year is going to be even more amazing. That is why this year we are starting the Elevation IMPACT offering. At the end of every year we are going to be taking an IMPACT offering to help make an impact on certain areas of ministry that we believe will make a huge difference when it comes to our vision and mission. So this year we have set a goal of $20,000. Within this $20,000 we have money designated for improving the quality of our EKidz ministry at Elevation. We have within this goal money designated to make sure that our online video messages are going to be better, so that more and more people can see gatherings online. We also have money designated for equipment improvements in the Worship and Arts Ministry like a new computer to run our presentation software. No more videos where the sound doesn’t match the picture. Then finally, we are designating money that is going to go directly to the improvement of the facilities of Miracle House in Kenya. This is an offering that will be above and beyond our regular tithe and it means that we can make a huge impact on the next year. You can start this Sunday by writing on the envelope IMPACT offering, we will receive money for this offering all the way up to the first Sunday of the New Year. Remember that you need to pray about this and then you just need to make sure that you mark it as an IMPACT offering on your envelope.
Thank you for reading this and I hope and pray that this has changed your week for the better as we move forward with all God is doing in and through Elevation.
As we take the next month to really walk through and chew on how to live lives where we are dropping the F-bomb all over the place. I would like to encourage you to take the F-Bomb reading challenge. Here on the blog you are able to have different verses from the bible to read that deal with forgiveness. What I would pray that you do is share what you are hearing from God about be a person that is able to accept forgiveness and share forgiveness with all of those around you. Forgiveness is a challenge for each one us, it is a challenge to how we are going to walk through a life that can be filled with pain and hurt. Pain and hurt that comes from people that Jesus loves and was willing to to die for, so willing that he said on the cross, Luke 23:34; “Father forgive them for they don’t know what they are doing.” There is an example of a life filled with the F-bomb. May we live that life too.
F-Bomb Reading Plan for the month of August:
8th – Genesis 50:15 – 21
9th – Exodus 30:11 – 16
10th – Leviticus 26:13
11th – Judges 15:1
12th – 2 Samuel 12:14
13th – 1 Chronicle 21:8
14th – Psalm 32:1
15th – Matthew 5:32
16th – Matthew 6:14 – 15
17th – John 20:23
18th – John 8:11
19th – Luke 11:4
20th – Luke 15:30
21st – Luke 15:32
22nd – Matthew 28:10
23rd – Acts 8:18-23
24th – Romans 1:5 – 6
25th – Romans 4:6 – 8
26th – Romans 12:17 – 21
27th – Philemon 1:10
28th – Hebrews 9:22
29th – 1 John 1:9
30th – Ephesians 4:32
31st – Luke 23:34
We are asking you to pray at 7:00 for Eleven minutes. It could be seven in the moring or seven at night, or both. We want to unify the Elevation team in prayer for all that God is doing and is going to do in the life of our church. Here are some areas that you can be praying for:
- Pastor Scott and his family; protection and peace.
- Elevation Leaders that they seek Jesus in all that they do. (A-Team, Volunteer Staff, Team Leaders, Community Group Leaders)
- For Life Change every time we ahve a service (That people will respond to the gospel everytime.)
- Team Members of Elevation with all that goes on in life. (Check people and request through the Online Community)
- Elevation Prison Campus (Finances and Volunteers)
- Elevation Fort Collins Campus (Finances and Volunteers)
- 5 Friends that you know need a relationship with Jesus.
As we continue in the “Sun Stand Still” series it is amazing to continue to hear about how God is moving in each of our lives each week. I am so excited that we were able to talk this week about how the Bible the word of God is so important to our ability to live a life of Audacious Faith. So as I said I a want to share with you the Faith Confessions that you can find in the book “Sun Stand Still” on pages 114 and 115. I beleive that as we take these confessions that are grounded in the word of God the Bible we feel an sense of what God is doing in us and through us.
Faith Confessions (page 114 & 115)
- I am fully forgiven and from all shame and condemnation. (Romans 8:1 – 2, Ephesians 1:7 – 8, 1 John 1:9)
- I act in audacious faith to change the world in my generation. (Joshua 10:12 – 14, John 14:12)
- I have no fear or anxiety; I trust in the Lord with all my heart. (Proverbs 3:5 – 6, Philippians 4:6 – 7, 1 Peter 5:7)
- I am able to fulfill the calling God has placed on my life. (Exodus 3:9 – 12, Psalm 57:2, Colossians 1:24 – 29)
- I am fully resourced to do everything God has called me to do. (Deuteronomy 8:18, Luke 6:38, Philippians 4:13)
- I have no insecurity, because I see myself the way God sees me. (Genesis 1:26 – 27, Psalm 139:13-16, Ephesians 5:25 – 27)
- I am a faithful spouse (if you’re single, you can slip FUTURE in there) and godly parent our family is blessed. (Deuteronomy 6:6 – 9, Ephesians 5:22 – 25, Colossians 3:18 – 19, 1 Peter 3:1 – 7)
- I am completely whole – physically, mentally, and emotionally. (Pslam 103:1 – 5, Matthew 8:16 – 17, Corinthians 5:17, 1 Peter 2:24)
- I am increasing in influence and favor for the kingdom of God. (Genesis 45: 5 – 8, 1 Samuel 2:26, Acts 2:37 – 47)
- I am enabled to walk in the sacrificial love of Christ. (2 Thessalonians 2:16 -17, 1 John 3:16; 4: 9 – 12)
- I have the wisdom of the Lord concerning every decision I make. (2 Chronicles 1:7 – 12, Proverbs 2:6, Ecclesiastes 2:26, James 1:5)
- I am protected from all harm and evil in Jesus’ name. (Genesis 50:20, Psalm 3:1 – 3, 2 Thessalonians 3: 2 – 3)
Here is something that I would challenge you to do. Take these statements and print them up and place them in a place where you will see them every morning. We as a family have placed them in each of the bathrooms in our house as a reminder of how are life can look as we speak the word og God over our lives. We seek to be a family that lives a life of Audacious Faith.
Yesterday we were so excited to be able to share with everyone the commitment that we are making to support as well as partner with the Miracle Party. For those of you that do not know what the Miracle Party is then I would encourage you to click on the word Miracle Party and follow the link to their website. It is an amazing event that is for children with cancer and it is an opportunity to love on the kids and their families. So yesterday we gave to this organization for several reasons. We gave to this organization as a church because we are blessed to have the family that started the Miracle Party as a part of our team. We gave because we wanted to be able to model what it means to be generous givers to those around us. We gave because we believe that this is a great opportunity to not just give of our finances but our time and talent. So we will be committing to serve before, during, and after the party. We decided long ago that as a church we are not going to be a team that just gives a check but we are going to be giving of our time and talent too. So if you are wanting too or are willing to serve as a volunteer at the Miracle Party then click on the word VOLUNTEER and show them your support. We cannot wait to see what God does through this years Miracle Party and the families that we as Elevation come in contact. We are praying for miracles at the Miracle Party.
I want to share with you all that this weekend we are continuing in our series “Where’s My Bailout”. But we are going to be doing something that will catch some people off guard. We are going to be . . . well you will have to just come and find out. We will be having our two services at 9:00 & 10:30AM at Dalton Elementary 17401 E Dartmouth Ave Aurora, CO 80013-2213. Come and see what God does when we let Him have control of our finances.
Don’t forget that this is Daylight Savings weekend and we are going to be springing forward with our clocks one hour. Don’t forget!
As we continue in our series “Where’s my Bailout” this weekend I have to say that I found a great article on handling your finances in a crazy economy. I would encourage you to take some time and read what Nelson Searcy says about certain areas of finance.
Spending is a habit – Does money burn a hole in your pocket? Does buyer’s remorse set in after you have spent your money? If this sounds familiar, how can you manage your spending so you can buy the things you need now and also save for the things you need in the future.
In order to change spending habits, people must first understand how habits are shaped and the ways spending behavior can be changed. In essence, they must identify spending leaks that give immediate satisfaction but do not help reach financial goals and, instead, substitute desirable spending behavior that may not be immediately gratifying but will allow financial goals to be reached.
How to change the habit, Luke 16:11 says, “Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you?” People need to learn to handle the smallest thing God has put under their authority—their money. Larry believes that if the following guidelines are followed it will help control spending.
- Establish self-discipline. Put all spending under God’s control. In so doing, individuals become managers of God’s finances and all spending should then be from the vantage point of whether He would be pleased with the purchase. With God’s guidance, any bad habit can be broken. People need to learn to recognize the drive that places them in a spending situation and then when they shop they can avoid the spending pitfalls produced by that drive by having a purpose for the shopping, a time limit, and a written plan. They need to make a list before they go shopping and then stick to it. In addition, they should limit the number of trips to the store or mall and never shop when hungry or depressed.
- How far money goes usually depends on how much people want something. As such, they need to be in control of the money, under God’s direction, instead of having the money control them by limiting what they do. Once spending has been brought under control, there should be a determination of how much needs to be spent each month in every area of an implemented budget; and, since the basic idea behind budgeting is to save money up front for both known and unknown expenses, there must be a commitment to stick to the budget. Larry believes that if people are having difficulty with income equaling outgo, they must cut some of their outgo. As such, they need to look at their budgets realistically and see where they can start trimming. A budget is a money plan. With it, people can organize and control their financial resources, set and realize goals, and decide in advance how money will work for the good of the family. Therefore, because every purchase should be considered in light of the established budget, buying any non-budgeted items on impulse should be avoided, especially if those non-budgeted items will need to be purchased with a credit card.
- People need to be accountable to other persons for a specified period of time for everything they spend. Ecclesiastes 4:9,10 says, “Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up.” If there is accountability, people will be more inclined to be more cautious in their spending habits—more of a look now, buy later attitude. So, shop around before buying and learn to say no. Keep a record of spending and purchases and share these with the accountability partner.
- Establish a want-to-buy list. Whenever people feel they need to buy something that is not budgeted, they should put it on the list, but then wait seven days and find two additional prices for the same item, to be sure they are getting a good buy. If they still want the item after a week has passed, they will have thought about it and probably will be getting the best buy on the item. However, they still should not charge it. Finally, people can have only one item on the list at a time, so if they find new “wants” during the week, they will have to decide between the two.
Conclusion A good way to reduce debt is to develop discipline in spending habits. That may include taking away any security that might be used in case of emergencies: credit cards or other avenues of borrowing. By committing not to go further in debt, people begin to reverse the process that produced the debt. Larry often recommends cutting up the credit cards and not taking out any bank or family loans. Then, they can develop a balanced budget that will control spending and will allow them to stay within the parameters of their financial means.